19.3.11

Kefir vs. Yogurt. Put This On Your Grocery List Today!

















Kefir is a fermented milk drink. The word kefir is said to have originated from the Turkish word "Keif" which means "good feeling". Kefir dates back many centuries to the shepherds of the Caucasus Mountains who carried kefir grains in milk stored in leather pouches where it would ferment into fizzy sour yogurt. Doesn't sound appetizing? Well actually it is! A diet of kefir grains is what's been attributed the long and healthy life of the people of the Caucasus Mountains.


What makes kefir so good for you? Inside the kefir grains are billions and billions of live beneficial bacteria.
When ingested, these bacteria literally cleans your body of bad bacteria and other harmful things that shouldn't be there. Immediately after drinking kefir you feel fresh and relaxed.

In addition to beneficial bacteria and yeast, kefir contains many vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes. Particularly calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, B2 and B12, vitamin K, vitamin A and vitamin D. Tryptophan, one of the essential amino acids abundant in kefir, is well known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system.





So, how is Kefir different than the yogurt that we all know and love?



Click 'read more'  below to find out!







Well, when comparing probiotics, kefir has about 5 times more friendly bacteria than yogurt. And the diversity of those beneficial bacteria are much wider than those in yogurt. Think of it as really, really smart yogurt!

Most yogurts that people buy contain a ton of sugar or artificial sweeteners, even the ones labeled 'healthy'.
Kefir is absolutely positively wonderful tasting and contains no added sugars or artificial additives.
Instead of buying those flavored yogurts or yogurt smoothies, buy some kefir next time instead!

Also, the abundance of enzymes in kefir brings more health benefits than yogurt, especially to lactose intolerant people, many of whom can tolerate kefir without difficulty, as long as the kefir is raw and not cooked (cooking destroys the enzymes). How is this possible? Kefir's beneficial yeast and bacteria provide alctase, an enzyme whic consumes most of the lactose left after the culturing process.


Unlike yogurt, kefir can help protect and repair your gut after you've taken antibiotics! I drink kefir daily as do my kiddos. I attribute this along with a diet rich if fruits and veggies to the fact that none of us get sick nearly as much as we used to, and when we do it's much less severe and short lived.


 My Kefir Parfait 


Some of the ways we enjoy tart, creamy and delicious kefir:

  • Kefir Parfait's with fresh berries and home made granola
  • In a banana-strawberry smoothie
  • I switch out my babies cow milk bottle for a bottle of kefir every day.
  • Straight out of the bottle for a mid-morning pick me up, Yum!


picture from Lifeway Kefir



For those of you who want to lose weight,  having kefir as part of your diet could make you shave unwanted weight faster. Because kefir has probiotics, it speeds up the your body’s metabolism letting your body burn more fats and calories even if you’re only spending your normal workout time.





Amazing Health Benefits of Kefir You'll Feel Right Away:

1.Strongest natural remedy against any allergy


2.Strongest natural antibiotic without side effects

3.Treats liver disease

4.Treats gallbladder, dissolves gall bladder stones

5.Clears the body of salts, heavy metals, radionuclides, and alcoholic products

6.Cleans the body of chemical antibiotics

7.Treats kidney stones

8.Good bacteria in kefir are able to fight off pathogenic microorganisms

9.Lowers level of LDL cholesterol

10.Cleans the gastrointestinal tract

11.Irritable Bowel Syndrome

12.Treats gastritis

13.Treats pancreatitis

14.Treats ulcers

15.Prevents and treats colon cancer

16.Improves digestion

17.Improves the body functions

18.Improves the human immune system

19.Cures Candida yeast infections

20.Cures hypertension

21.Stops growth of cancer cells

22.Speeds up healing process

23.Treats psoriasis

24.Treats eczema

25.Treats inflammatory diseases

26.Reduces size of tumors

27.Treats heart disease

28.Reverses calcination of blood vessels

29.Clears the blood vessels

30.Boosts the bodies energy

31.Natural “feel good” food

32.Treats lung infections

33.Normalizes metabolism thereby can be used as for weight loss

34.Cures acne

35.Has anti-oxidants and anti-aging properties

36.Nourishes hair

37.Treats the gum disease parodontosis

38.Lessens effects of medicines

39.Replenishes body of good bacteria after antibiotic

40.Balances the microflora of the body’s digestive system

41.Regulates blood pressure

42.Lowers blood sugar

43.Lowers blood lipid levels or cholesterol and fatty acids

44.Treats diarrhea

45.Treats constipation

46.Promotes bowel movement

47.Anti-stress properties

48.Treats sleeping disorders

49.Treats depression

50.Treats attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

51.Improves the brains neuro functions like reflexes, memory retention, attention, the five senses

52.Reduces flatulence

53.Lactic acid fermentation enhances the digestibility of milk based foods. People who cannot otherwise digest milk, can enjoy the vital calcium rich Kefir.

54.Treats yeast infection

55.Eliminates vaginal odors

56.Cures wrinkles

57.Treats arthritis

58.Treats colitis

59.Treats gout

60.Cures migraines

61.Treats rheumatism

62.Treats other stomach disorders

63.Detoxifies the body

64.Improves protein quality of milk, and enhances absorption and digestion

65.Good bacteria manufacture B vitamins such as B3, B6 and folic acid.

66.Aids in treating tuberculosis

67.Treats stomach cramps

68.Treats chronic intestine infections

69.Treats liver infections

70.Treats asthma

71.Treats bronchitis

72.Treats sclerosis

73.Treats anemia

74.Treats hepatitis

75.Healing effects on catarrh, digestive nodes, astral nodes, bilious complaints

76.Treats leaky gut syndrome

77.Prevents metastasis

78.Cures bad morning breath

 
 
Think it's to good to be true?
Don't take my word for it, start drinking kefir regularly and you'll quickly see the many benefits for yourself.
 
 
So put Kefir on your grocery list right away and get feeling better!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Like this post? Love my blog? Please vote for me
{Healthy Mamma}
It would mean the world to me!

Thanks!



This post is linked to

La Bella Vita's 'Seasonal Saturday's'
Paisly Passion 'Fun with Food Friday'
 
 
Resources
 
Seeds of Health
Your Kefir source
Be Well Buzz

30 comments:

  1. Wow! I always wondered what the heck it was! This was such a great post! I'm definitely checking this out next time I go to the grocery. We all could use some of this stuff. Thanks Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, healthy and unique recipe! You've ticked all the boxes. I really find it so important to eat cleansing foods like this with natural bacteria for the intestines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is one serious superfood. I really need to get some kefir into my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, Gwen, this is great! I'll be looking for these on my next grocery trip, though I don't think that I have seen it here before! I have been making my own homemade yoghurt which my kids really love. I have not heard of Kefir before, thanks for the info, better than yoghurt? Wow! It's now on my grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always get asked what kefir is when I bring it to work so I thought I'd do a post on it thinking many people havn't heard of it.
    It really tastes very similar to yogurt, just a bit thinner in consistancy.
    I've been seeing it available at most all stored here in the Phoenix area as it's become more popular recently.
    @kitchen flavours, I don't know where you live but most 'specialty' stores. Also, you can buy kefir grains if you really want to (It's on my wish list) and make your own easily by adding to milk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're quite the kefir expert! Thank you for mentioning us in this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm lactose intolerant, so I will definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds nothing but perfect! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa...GO Kefir! I put it in smoothies to lessen the tang.

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the list! Can I get it in my normal grocery store or shop a natural food store? Thanks for the info Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i had no idea! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's getting more popular i think and so I'm seeing it in most stores I shop in here in Phx. Az. It's usually not by the yogurt tho for some reason but in the health/specialty section. Trader Joes has a good & cheap brand if u have one near u.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I adore Kefir...how it's slightly fizzy on my tongue...mmmm! My daughter and I try to drink a glass for breakfast every morning =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, bought some today. We all love it! Blueberry for the littles was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful info on Fresh clean and Pure Friday last week. Can you tell me where to find it in the marketplace? It's probably right under my nose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is usually by sour cream, coffee creamer or by half and half

      Delete
  16. Lovely post! I found you because I am researching my own post on why kefir is better than yogurt! You have done a great job here. I hope you will check out my blog too. I am totally subscribing to you!
    Thanks for some great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sutharthan7/19/2011

    hi there

    thanks for the wonderful post. im from malaysian where can i get the kefir closest to my country

    my email id: suthamitra@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, bought some today. We all love it! Blueberry for the littles was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I adore Kefir...how it's slightly fizzy on my tongue...mmmm! My daughter and I try to drink a glass for breakfast every morning =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7/30/2012

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous7/31/2012

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agreed with what anonymous had to say. It wasn't offensive and he has just been censored for telling you that store bought Kefir is like coca cola for health benefits when compared to home made.

    This blog is just an advert for the Lifestyle Brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough I found "Anonymous's comment that I was a stupid idiot offensive, go figure. Secondly, this is my blog, if you don't like it, don't read it. Lastly, of course home made is always better, I've only said that on my blog around a thousand times. However, most of us don't live on a farm, don't have the resources, time or money to buy kefir grains from across the globe and ferment their own kefir.

      I have done my research thank you very much. I have some home made kefir in my fridge right now. And plain kefir, store bought or not does not contain refined sugar and to compare it to soda pop is quite a stretch.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10/06/2012

      Hello. You do not have to live on a farm or go around the globe to buy kefir grains...you can buy them off the internet reasonably and it's very easy and much cheaper to make it yourself. You use store bought milk to make kefir! If you are trying to infer that it is really difficult or time consuming to do, that's just misleading.

      Delete
  23. Do the research yourself and compare home made to commercial. No comparison. Home made is five times healthier, more nutritional with higher quantities of beneficial bacteria. Store bought has additives including massive amounts of sugar. Read the label. It's cheaper, easier and healthier to produce your own.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love making kefir, I feed it to my family and my pets. Homemade kefir can be thin or thick depending on the temperature at which it is fermented. I use raw whole milk which is available at the Sprouts store near my home and it takes me about 10 minuets a day to process it. My motto is if you can't afford or you don't have time to have the best go with the best you can afford or have time to do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I use both kefir and yogurt for smoothies. I love them both for my probiotic intake and I like that I can make them at home. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Saw this on Dr. Oz show & knew I needed to have it!! It truly does make you feel better from the inside out & it cures my boys upset stomach all the time! My kids love it & I love it and I am hooked on it for life :)

    ReplyDelete

If you really like a post please share, like on FB, Google +, Stumble and give it a THUMBS UP or Pin It on Pinterest!

I appreciate all positive and helpful comments! Thanks for stopping by.


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye