Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pear-Gingerbread Cake





















Short and sweet is my middle name tonight. Take that as you will....

I don't make dessert very often, much to my children's dismay. Bad mommy. Truth be told I'm to freaking exhausted at the end of the day to even think about dessert. Not to mention the calories, dishes and most importantly, the expectations it creates for every. single. other. night of the week. Who wants to deal with all of that? Not me.

I saw this cake on one of my favorite 'Go to' sites,  Ask Georgie.  She's pretty awesome. Georgie is a registered dietician who lives in Colorado {jealous} and has some wonderfully creative and healthy recipes that are still fantastically delicious like this one....


'Pear-Gingerbread Cake'


* The only things I really changed was using Raw sugar for Splenda because I personally don't believe in Splenda. Man made/artificial = not good in my book. Also, I used coconut oil instead of canola oil.
The cake was just wonderful. Not to sweet at all, so some might pause to call it a dessert which is just fine with me. I am all about flavor versus sugar.







Like this post? Love my blog? Please vote for me
{Healthy Mamma}
on babble.com  for Top 100 mommy bloggers in 2011!




Pear Gingerbread Cake


recipe very slightly adapted from Ask Georgie



TIME  10 MINUTES PREP, 35 MINUTES BAKE     YEILDS 1- 9" round cake (I doubled)
Ingredients:

2 pears (not overripe)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp ginger (ground)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh grated ginger root
2 Tablespoons milled flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup Raw sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup unsulfered molasses
1/4 cup egg whites
2/3 cup skim milk (or Almond milk)


 
 
Putting it all together:
 
Preheat oven to 350. Cut a circle of parchment to fit the bottom of a round cake or springform pan. Slice the pears into thin slices and arrangle in the bottom of the pan in a circular pattern.
 
In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients well (flour through sugar). In a separate bowl, mix the oil, molasses, egg whites, and milk. Add a small amount of the dry ingredients to the wet ones, and stir to combine. Add the remaining dry ingredients, and stir just until the batter is uniform and no lumps remain.
Do not overbeat. Pour batter gently over slices pears and smooth.
 
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Invert onto serving platter and gently remove parchment.






This post is linked to

Friday Potluck
Fresh Clean and Pure Friday's
Fun with Food Friday

19 comments:

  1. What a fun combination, I be that was just scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen - I am so thrilled you liked the cake and I love when people tweak things to fit their own needs!

    (I know a lot of people don't like Splenda, but my blood sugar goes out of control if I use real sugar, so I just encourage people to substitute!)

    I will link to your post from AskGeorgie! And as soon as I have a nice big chunk of time I will crawl through your posts - subscribed now!

    Have a fabulous day! Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! Did the kiddos enjoy it. I think mine just might and like you, I don't make many sweets so they'll take what they can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all loved it. It wasn't sweet at all, the pears really made it wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! And, I'm craving desserts that have a spring, fruity, and light twist to it - I'm praying for sunshine and warm weather to hit MN soon! Glad I found your blog!! It's refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a beautiful cake with an ideal combo of flavors. It just sounds so warm and inviting. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog every weekend and I'd be delighted if you'd stop by then and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks wonderful! I'm like you too, I usually reduce the sugar in desserts, as most recipes are overloaded with sugar! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh! Well if you don't make desserts very often, you sure produce a winner with this gorgeous pear and gingerbread. Lovely combination and love how there's less sugar. My kind of finale! Bon weekend and lovely to check you out as a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I'm excited to see something sweet on your blog! This is still healthy though, as far as desserts go. Pear is such a lovely fruit within baked goods. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bake weekly and I cant wait to try this recipe. It sounds and looks delicious:) Have a fantastic day, my dear
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Love the pattern on the top of this cake! And I'm also glad you didn't use Splenda. I'm always weirded out by how powdery it is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always looking for a healthy dessert. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. I love the two flavor combinations. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once you start baking, it definitely does up the expectation factor. Then you have to bring baked goods to all sorts of events...sometimes more trouble than it's worth. This cake looks absolutely delicious and I love that it's even good for you! Off to vote for you my love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks delicious - I love gingerbread and I love baking with pears so I will save this to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious - I love gingerbread and I love baking with pears so I will save this to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once you start baking, it definitely does up the expectation factor. Then you have to bring baked goods to all sorts of events...sometimes more trouble than it's worth. This cake looks absolutely delicious and I love that it's even good for you! Off to vote for you my love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes! I'm excited to see something sweet on your blog! This is still healthy though, as far as desserts go. Pear is such a lovely fruit within baked goods. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gwen - I am so thrilled you liked the cake and I love when people tweak things to fit their own needs!

    (I know a lot of people don't like Splenda, but my blood sugar goes out of control if I use real sugar, so I just encourage people to substitute!)

    I will link to your post from AskGeorgie! And as soon as I have a nice big chunk of time I will crawl through your posts - subscribed now!

    Have a fabulous day! Georgie

    ReplyDelete

If you really like a post please share, like on FB, Google +, Stumble and give it a THUMBS UP or Pin It on Pinterest!

I appreciate all positive and helpful comments! Thanks for stopping by.